Thursday, July 17, 2008

That beautiful bond that we have

Tonight I was dropped home by Frank, who's a Chinese man who came to Canada for high school and university - he's been here 8 years or so. As we were talking, we couldn't get over how awesome it is that God's set up this thing called Christianity, whereby people from completely different nations and walks of life can be united and have something in common. Here we were, an Aussie and a Chinaman sitting together in a car (Ford Mustang) in Canada, having just spent a night hanging out with a bunch of Canadians and talking about God.

How good is it! It's so good, that's how good. I was reading Revelation last night, and I just love chapter 7 verse 9-10:

After this I looked and there before me was a great multitude that no-one could count, from every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne and in front of the Lamb... and they cried out in a loud voice:
"Salvation belongs to our God,
who sits on the throne,
and to the Lamb."

God has created us so incredibly differently, yet for one purpose: To glorify Him. And it's His love and grace that allows us to get to know each other - to have something in common - to work together for a common purpose. What other community in the world would have such a wide diversity of members? What other purpose could join people across all walks of life?

A girl from the church here named Kerri played guitar in a tea shop tonight and gave me a CD afterward, and one of her songs hit the nail right on the head:

There's a love that can bring it together
It's the love of Jesus Christ

The song's actually about spiritual healing, but what struck me in that chorus is that this love that God has for us; through sending His Son to die; to bind us to Him and to each other... That love is just so overarching, so completely sufficient, and so overwhelming on so many levels. It's that love that brings EVERYTHING together.

I mean, if it weren't for the love of God and the work that He's done in my and so many other people's lives, I wouldn't know all the fantastic people I've met so far. (and I've only been away just over a week!)

But what's even more striking is that rather than just meeting people, we can love them. How on earth can you love people you've known for a day???

It's the love of Jesus Christ.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

reading this made me emotional.
the end.