Thursday, July 31, 2008

Hanging out in Tronno

Yeah, that's right, once again I was just up the road, in Tronno (aka Toronto), this time spending a few days with the man himself, Tim Challies. With that in mind, why are you still reading this? Quick, click his link on my sidebar, and visit his blog! Do it now, hurry, there's not a moment to lose!

Turns out this guy is pretty cool and has the most adorable family ever. It was kinda surreal actually - he has a son and two daughters of similar age differences to my family, and thus it felt like I was staying with my own family from ten years ago. Was a great experience in that regard - seeing what impact Mum and Dad have been able to have on random people who end up staying with them!

Because I was absolutely blessed in my time there. Tim and Aileen have such a holistic faith that's mega encouraging, and I also got the chance to hang out with some guys from their church who are the same way inclined.

Perhaps more than anything in the time though, I realised something new about communion. Julian (one of the fill-in pastors while I was there - turns out the real guy has taken a sabbatical in an effort to avoid me) emphasised the unity that we have when we come to take communion. While that's something that I must have heard hundreds of times, it finally sunk in for the first time on Sunday. There I was on the other side of the world, taking communion with a bunch of Canadians, who somehow or another felt like family to me. This seems to be a recurring theme. Love it.

Also, read this article Tim wrote about something else we heard on Sunday relating to God striking Uzzah down for steadying the Ark of the Covenant - an act that I'd always thought a little unfair before this concept clicked for me:
http://www.challies.com/archives/christian-living/the-filth-of-human-hands.php#comments

So yeah. Now I'm in Gaithersburg, Maryland, ready to go to WorshipGod08 and (hopefully!) meet up with Bob and Josh - two of the other awesome men of God on my blogroll. What I really should rename that to is "Who I'm gonna be when I grow up"

When I grow up, I'm gonna be Tim Challies.

No comments: