Wednesday, July 16, 2008

C-A-N-A-D, eh?

You know what they always say - you haven't been to Canada until you've hugged a Triceratops.


(Yes, I know that's not technically a Triceratops. But I'm not entirely sure what it is, and Triceratops rolls off the tongue a whole lot easier. After all, they wouldn't always say it if they didn't!)

I'm going to write this post in point format because there's a lot to update and I want to make it as easy as possible for you, the readers, to get the info. Because I'm always willing to give you, the readers, what you want.
  • The sun never goes down in Canada. I'm staying in Edmonton, and it will still be light out at 11pm. It's insane, and just not right.
  • Floyd and I went on a road trip. This took us firstly to Drumheller.  The road is completely flat the whole way until you get here, where it all of a sudden starts descending and you're in these massive valleys filled with dinosaur bones. There's what's apparently one of the best dinosaur museums in the world there, and we went through it. All dinosaur lovers be jealous.
  • Just out of Drumheller is this place:


So there you go, I've been fooling you all this time! You all think I'm halfway across the world, whereas really I'm half an hour down the road! The beach has changed a little though, now it looks something like this:

  • We then went to Calgary, and watched the chuck wagon racing. This entails four wagons pulled by four horses, as well as four blokes on four other horses per team. That makes 32 horses on the field. The four blokes, on the whistle, hoist a stove into the wagon, then the wagon takes off doing a figure eight around two barrels, then races around the circular track (against the other three wagons). It's kinda like the chariot races from ancient Rome, but the four blokes on the other horses have to follow along behind. It's pretty intense and fun to watch.
  • After that came the "greatest outdoor show on Earth" which, as I mentioned in the last post, could quite well live up to that name.
  • The next day we went into the mountains, to Banff National Park where we saw some beautiful lakes and rode a gondola up mega high.
  • It was here that I decided I make a sucky tourist. I just don't take enough pictures. I guess I just figure - if I want to remember the things, I can just look it up on the Internet. I'd rather appreciate them in all their splendour rather than trying to recapture that splendour and spending all the time making sure the photo works out.
  • That being said, I did get this really cool photo, because I figured I couldn't just look it up on the Internet:
Heh, that goat's eating that goat crossing sign! Silly Canadians.

No comments: